What Is Shiatsu Massage Therapy?
Often I receive calls and queries from people asking me what is a Shiatsu massage therapy and how can they benefit from it. So I am taking, this time, to explain it in detail about it for the benefit of other as well who have heard about it somewhere.
Shiatsu massage is an ancient form of Japanese massage which literally means “finger pressure”.
The basic and underlying principle behind it is “Qi” (pronounced as ‘chee ‘). Qi is the vital energy which flows through our body and underlines all bodily functions. This energy flows through certain channels called “meridians”. Whenever there is an obstruction to the flow of Qi there is an imbalance which results in symptoms. These symptoms range from frequent colds, headaches, body aches, muscle pains or digestion problems. Shiatsu helps stimulates this flow of energy and revitalizes the body and mind.
When a person enters into our clinic, our trained Shiatsu massage therapist first analyses his/her body and recognizes the patterns of disharmony of Qi. This is the most important part as it helps the therapist to plan the session in such a way so as to give the maximum benefit to the person. She then accesses Qi along the meridians at certain vital points by applying pressure. The pressure is applied through a variety of methods like kneading, pressing, soothing, tapping and stretching. In this way, the energy flow is regulated in the body which helps relieve stress, anxiety and other symptoms. Regular Shiatsu sessions ensure that the flow of Qi is unobstructed and that the customer remains healthy.
What Are The Benefits Of Shiatsu Massage Therapy?
Shiatsu is a non-invasive therapy which involves applying pressure on certain vital points in the body to help the vital energy to flow unobstructed. It is believed to have both remedial as well as preventive effects. The major benefits of this technique are:-
- Relieves stress, anxiety, and depression
- Helps in chronic conditions as headaches, PMS, digestion problems, fatigue, insomnia, etc
- Helps to reduce muscle stiffness
- Stimulates the skin
- Helps in relieving musculoskeletal pain such as lower back pain, joint pain, neck pain, etc
- Vitalizes nervous system
So if you are looking for a good shiatsu massage therapy, please feel free to make an appointment with us and book a session with our experienced Shiatsu practitioner. You can call us at 905-232-2202 or can also book an appointment online here.
- Winter Is Coming: A Guide to Cold Weather Sports Injury Prevention - October 24, 2017
- Hand and Wrist Injuries and Role of Physiotherapy - September 14, 2017
- Runner’s Knee Guide for Patients: Causes, Prevention and Treatment - September 5, 2017
- Lower Back Pain During Pregnancy: Cause and Treatment - September 1, 2017
- Office Ergonomics: Making work more comfortable for your body - August 23, 2017
- How to prevent the 7 most common sports injuries - August 16, 2017
- Whiplash Injury- Complete Guide for Patients - August 8, 2017
- Sitting on a desk most of the day? You must read this article - July 7, 2017
- Sports Injury and Middle Age: Common Issues that Can Slow You Down, But Don’t Have To - May 5, 2017
- Acupuncture for Quitting Smoking: A Proven Path to Freedom - April 27, 2017