Often my clients enquire about deep tissue massage and its related benefits. A deep tissue massage, as the name suggests, is meant to massage deeper lying muscles and tissues in the body. It is most effective in patients suffering from some chronic pain such as lower back pain, recovering from injury such as a fall, sports injury, stiff neck, chronic muscle pain, etc. We also recommend it for patients suffering from osteoarthritis.
What can I expect during deep tissue massage session?
When you make the appointment for a session, we advise our clients to come hydrated. Drinking water before and after the session helps in flushing out the toxins from the muscles and also helps in recovering. You do not have to come for the session on an empty stomach. Make sure you do not overeat as well.
When a client enters our clinic, a trained deep-tissue massage therapist enquire about any sort of injury, open wounds, etc to be aware of. This is done so that she does not apply too much pressure on the affected areas. The massage therapist uses her fingers, hands, knuckles, thumbs and ever her elbows to apply pressure on the deep-lying muscles in the body.
Whenever there is an injury or muscle tension, bands of painful and rigid tissues are formed in and around the muscles, tendons and ligaments. These rigid tissues are called adhesions which can block blood circulation to the muscles, cause pain, limited mobility of the limbs and also inflammation in some cases. An experienced therapist identifies these areas and applies appropriate pressure to break off these tissue masses and helps improve circulation. That is why people experience pain and discomfort during the session. This is perfectly normal and you can tell your therapist about it when the pain becomes unbearable.
There is usually some muscle soreness and stiffness after the session which can last up to a day or two. Drinking plenty of water after the session helps flush out toxins and relieves the soreness and pain. Sometimes the therapist advises to ice the area after the session to reduce the soreness.
What are the benefits of Deep tissue massage?
It is a great technique to help patients suffering from chronic muscle pain or injury. We recommend this massage session to people suffering from the following conditions:-
- Lower back pain
- Reduced mobility
- Sports injury
- After a strenuous gym workout
- Hamstring injury
- Postural problem
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tennis elbow
However, this massage technique is not for everyone. We do not recommend it to people suffering from osteoporosis, pregnant women and people prone to blood clots. The clots might get dislodged, so your doctor’s consult is advised.
Also deep tissue massage is not done on patients having open wounds, skin rashes, tumors, recent fractures, etc. Therefore, we advice consulting your doctor before you make an appointment for this session.
So if you are looking for a deep tissue massage, please feel free to make an appointment with us and book a session with our experienced practitioner. You can call us at 905-232-2202 or can also book an appointment online here.
- Winter Is Coming: A Guide to Cold Weather Sports Injury Prevention - October 24, 2017
- Hand and Wrist Injuries and Role of Physiotherapy - September 14, 2017
- Runner’s Knee Guide for Patients: Causes, Prevention and Treatment - September 5, 2017
- Lower Back Pain During Pregnancy: Cause and Treatment - September 1, 2017
- Office Ergonomics: Making work more comfortable for your body - August 23, 2017
- How to prevent the 7 most common sports injuries - August 16, 2017
- Whiplash Injury- Complete Guide for Patients - August 8, 2017
- Sitting on a desk most of the day? You must read this article - July 7, 2017
- Sports Injury and Middle Age: Common Issues that Can Slow You Down, But Don’t Have To - May 5, 2017
- Acupuncture for Quitting Smoking: A Proven Path to Freedom - April 27, 2017